Critical Review; or, Annals of Literature
The Critical Review was established in 1756, and ran until June 1817. Its first editor was the novelist Tobias Smollet, and, until the late eighteenth century, it aligned itself with Tory and High Church politics, in opposition to the dissenting and liberal stance of the Monthly. During the Romantic period, however, the editorship changed hands a number of times, and the Critical adopted a more liberal political stance. From 1800 to 1829, the review was edited in succession by John M. Good (1799–1803); Samuel Hamilton (1803–1805); John Higgs Hunt and Joseph Mawman (jointly edited, 1805–1807); Robert Fellowes (1807–?); and George Busby (1815–1817). Contributors during this period included Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Robert Southey. Reviews were published anonymously.
From 1799–1804, the review was published monthly by Samuel Hamilton; from, 1804–1813 by Joseph Mawman; in 1814 by J. Souter and G. & S. Robinson; and from 1815–1817 by Simpkin & Marshall.
Reviews from the Critical have been drawn from the longer reviews in the main body of the periodical, and from the shorter notices contained in the ‘Monthly Catalogue’ section that appeared at the end of each issue.
For further information, see the entry for Critical Review by Robert D. Spector in Alvin Sullivan (ed.), British Literary Magazines: The Augustan Age and the Age of Johnson, 1689–1788, pp. 72–77; see also Derek Roper, Reviewing Before the Edinburgh, and Robert D. Mayo The English Novel in the Magazines.